Friday, April 6, 2012

The boundaries of language are quietly cursed, all the different names for the same thing. -Death Cab for Cutie "Different Names for the Same Thing"

As many of you know, I really enjoy watching movies.  Since arriving in Japan, I've noticed several movies that have different titles in Japanese than they do in English.  Sometimes the titles have been changed due to an inability to properly translate slang or for cultural reasons.  However, some titles are changed for reasons I can't understand or explain and occasionally lose a little something in translation.  I thought it might be interesting/informative/funny look at some movies that have titles different from the American ones we know and love.

 
Year One → What If 1AD Was Like This?!
(We would all be doomed.)

What Women Want → Heart of Women
 
 Diary of a Wimpy Kid → Greg's Bad Diary

 The Stepmom → Good Night Moon 
(Interesting choice.)

Where the Heart Is → For You

 
Street Kings → Fake City

Buried → Limit 
(Probably a better choice.)

  Horse Whisperer → Held By the Wind in Montana 
(Hmmmmmm...)
 
Dead Poet’s Society → Live for the Moment 
(Awwww!)

 
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen → League of Legend
 
  Shattered Glass → News Genius 

Meet The Spartans → Almost 300 
(I thought this one was pretty clever.)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon → Green Destiny
 
  Monster's Ball → Chocolate

  Sister Act → Sing a Love Song for Angels

The Bucket List → How to Find the Best Life
 
As Good As It Gets → The Romance Writer
 
 
In Bruges → Hitman's Requiem
 
Up → Grandpa Carl's Flying House
 
Suckerpunch → Angel Wars

Ratatouille → Remy's Delicious Restaurant
 
Napoleon Dynamite → Bus Boy 

Body of Lies → World of Lies

  Resident Evil → Biohazard 

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World → Scott Pilgrim vs. The League of Evil Exs

Jersey Girl → I Love My Dad The Best In The World  (My personal favorite!)

AND THE WINNER OF THE "MOST LOST IN TRANSLATION" AWARD GOES TO...
 
Army of Darkness → Captain Supermarket 

So there you have it.  Many different ways to say (kind of) the same thing.  If I find more interesting translations in the future, I'll be to do a Part 2 to this blog.  Thanks for reading!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment